Thursday 29 October 2015

Gentleman? Moi?


Country Life magazine has published a list of 39 characteristics which define a modern gentleman.  I’ve always wondered whether or not I'm one of those , so I printed it off and scored myself, using a three-way marking system – Yes’, ‘No', and ‘?’ (don’t know/ sometimes/ not applicable/can’t remember/not saying).
Here are my self-scores:
Yes: 1, 2, 4, 6, 8-10, 14-17, 21, 23-26, 28-30, 32-33, 36-38
No: 3, 18, 20, 22, 31, 34
?: 5, 7, 11, 12, 13, 19, 27, 35, 37
I left out 39, because it’s meaningless.
There are, of course, some qualifications, which you can have hours of harmless fun matching to the answers:
  • Except Paris-Charles de Gaulle.
  • I did once train a dog, not very well.  One’s gardener trains the roses, surely?
  • Tweed suit?  Only worn by cads, surely?
  • Nobody has yet died from eating one of my omelettes, as far as I know.
  • What, pray, is the distinction between an emoji, an emoticon and a sticker?  Insufficient information.
  • Rooks exist only in the plural, crows in the singular.  Or the other way round, I can never remember.
  • What does a gentleman wear on his feet in Puerto Rico then?  Oh, no, sorry…
  • I tend not to wear flowers, it’s not 1967 you know.

 

2 comments:

  1. I believe that an emoji is a little picture, an emoticon is a number of punctuation marks that makes up a symbol, such as :) and a sticker seems to be a rather large face or something that I've only ever used by accident.

    I've been wearing bras (just one at a time) for half a century, pretty much, and I can't undo it with one hand. But I used to be able to tie a bow tie.

    I think no. 39 is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a quick look and am of the opinion that I do not meet many of the criteria. However, I do get out of the shower for a pee. That must count for something, surely?

    ReplyDelete