Friday 11 May 2012

Caravan Comforts

Great news!  The macerating toilet has been installed!  And it works – at least, no signs of unwanted outcomes so far.  It makes a rather nice burpy sound as it digests.  Joseph said “Don’t put anything solid down there, except toilet paper and its accompaniments,” and the operating instructions bear this out:



I can identify most of them, and it’s encouraging that they remind you not to put your hand down either.

Here are the installation instructions:




At home, the weather tends to be outside, something to be excluded.  Down here, it’s inside.  I don’t mean literally, there are no leaks, but it makes itself felt.  It’s much closer, and I like that.  I like the little rocking motion when a strong gust of wind hits, and the rhythms of raindrops on the roof.  I certainly like what it does to the sea, which I can always hear and see.  Today it’s been grey-green, flecked with white, and quite loud.  It sometimes seems to be breathing, and indeed I find my pace slowing to that of the sea and the weather.

Wildlife report: I think there are three other humans here.  I waved to one of them, Gordon, when he passed with his greyhound just now, and we’ll chat tomorrow.  A flock of seabirds just wheeled over, at least a hundred, black against the sky.  They circled three times then were gone.  I couldn’t tell what species, but they seemed big enough to be gannets, though that can’t be right. 

No rabbits.  Not in season yet.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds great as you macerate. Have you got solar panels on the roof yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like heaven - with convenience installed even.

    ReplyDelete